Monday, April 22, 2013

I know where beauty is

I wanted to continue my previous thoughts on turning their hearts, but I've hit a temporary dry spell in that topic.  There's always the temptation, in the writer's world, to just continue on--just for the sake of appearing to be consistent.  But this is a blog, not a high-pressured magazine, and my heart is elsewhere today.

It is like this.

I have a two-sided world.  In one world, I am this happy to be alive stay-at-home mommy who is supposed to be content with everything, including her appearance, her children, her life.    In another world, I am striving to make everything better, stronger, leaner, and better.

There's this double-sided struggle going on, and I am sure I'm not the only one.  Either you give up caring about your physical appearance and just enjoy life and eat.  Or you are constantly striving to stay in shape and look nice.  Either you just put up your hands and let the house get messy and enjoy movies all day and eat ice cream, or you get up, clean, make homemade bread and recite poetry to your children.

I know some people are able to do a little of both.  Not me.  I'm an all-or-nothing kind of girl.

On the days when you do "whatever" with yourself, your house and your kids, you have fun doing it--for the moment.  And then, when the guilt comes, you feel horrible.  And you have to deal with the consequences of just cutting loose for the day.

And you convince yourself that there is no way to get ahead.  There is no way to lose weight.  There is no way to get it done--whatever it is.  And a great depression and sadness comes over to visit.  And we console ourselves with more and more unhealthy things and thoughts.

No wonder only 4% of the women out there consider themselves beautiful.

Yes, I am connecting beauty with the choices we make.  I am drawing a connection between contentment and beauty.

The secret to beauty is not going to the plastic surgeon.  The secret to beauty is making good choices.  The secret to beauty is letting God have control day in and day out.

And I, for one, have a lot of beauty to acquire.

I was challenged by the 4% statistic.  Do I consider myself beautiful?  Do you?

The good choices, the healthy habits, the contented spirit--these are what make us beautiful.  I'm willing to try..  how about you?

3 comments:

kathrynwarmstrong said...

I am totally willing and currently trying, although I would not consider myself beautiful. I love what you say, though. "How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of those" who share the gospel of peace. True beauty in God's eyes is inner beauty, and we can all be beautiful on the inside if we love and follow God. I'm shooting for that one, even if I am still working on trying to be lovely on the outside too!

Mrs. Santos said...

I think you are spot on. I recently decided to forgive someone who owed me a GREAT debt. It was the hardest thing I've done in a long time, but the right thing of course. Prior to forgiving, every time I looked in the mirror I felt so ugly and haggard and old. Today, I'm gorgeous! Well, maybe not, but I feel fantastic.

God bless you!

The dB family said...

So well said! I have really been trying to cultivate that sense of beauty both inside and out. It's.So.Hard!! A feeling of contentment isn't so difficult, but that sense of beauty, yikes!!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

Blessings!
Deborah