Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Only the persistent and prayerful

I have an adventure going that I haven't shared yet.  I know. I know.  How can there be such a thing?

Well, it's like this.  I am a fitness teacher.. sort of a hedgehog fitness teacher.. nonetheless.. a fitness teacher.  So, I'm never sure how I fit into this realm and where am I supposed to do my fitnessing thing, but, alas, a hedgehog's gift makes room for her..

Well, the day before I left for the Alaska trip, I was asked to teach  a special fitness class  at a local health club in town.  It wasn't in my direct line of training, and the whole thing was new to me.  Quite honestly, I was scared.  but excited. The clients are fit, active, older adults.  They have very specific health needs and preferences.  It's a great group, but it can be a little bit intimidating at first.

After so many times of trying different things and trying to please everyone in the class, I finally just said to myself: it doesn't matter if I am the best or that they love it.  It matters that I consistently and faithfully show up and teach the class.

You see, it is like this.
When I do something, I want to be instantly great at it.

 I really do not enjoy the getting better at it part of learning. Perseverance  has never been a strength of mine, and that is exactly what this is going to require of me.

Nobody is instantly great.  And if they are, they do not need God.  God has worked it out that he can mold my character AND give these people a great class and I work hard AND trust him.

It's a perfect balance of doing and trusting.

The doing part (for me) involves: paying attention to what is working and not working and trying to remember it for next time..  giving attention to special health needs within the group and trying to find a place of growth for the ones who are struggling.. and trying not to get discouraged when someone says something discouraging or gives necessary feedback.

The trusting part involves: asking God to be there with me and help out even when I am discouraged or doubting my abilities.  listening to the voice of reason rather than the voice of doubt..  and thanking God for every bit of success, however small it is.

And today WAS a success!  I found out later that my husband and mother were both praying.  It was just a small thing, but at the beginning of the class, I was playing what I called "my happy song".  A lady instantly recognized it and told me how encouraging that song was to her also.  I felt like I was making a bond with her and some of the other students, and that is always a good thing.


Now I can rejoice in my struggles.  God is working through them.  Success is borne on the wings of persistent hard work as well as prayer.

Which reminds me of a funny memory.  One day my brother asked my mother, "Why does Jena try so hard at everything??"

I don't remember what she said, but I know the answer: I am not naturally instantly great at anything.  Anything I can do, I've had to work really hard for.  Impressive?  not really.  If I happen to be doing something, and it looks easy, it is because I've done it a million times.  Don't be fooled.

There are only two kinds of people: people who work hard and people who wish they did.

So, do you want my happy song?  here it is:










2 comments:

Herding Grasshoppers said...

YES! That's a great thing to share, Jena. I think you summed up nearly all of us in that we want to BE good at something but we want to bypass the whole BECOME good at it by working.

"There are only two kinds of people: people who work hard and people who wish they did." Too true!

Julie

Mrs. Parunak said...

Good for you for tackling something new and hard! You're an inspiration!