Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Amelia Bedelia..

Do you remember Amelia Bedelia?  She was that maid who worked for a wealthy family.  The instructions were "remove the spots from this dress"  and she carefully hand cut each spot from the dress.  And then the instructions were "draw the drapes" so she drew a beautiful picture of the drapes.  And my personal favorite?  "dress the chicken"  and there was the chicken wearing lederhosen and a bow tie.

So, it just so happens that my fitness teaching career has launched itself to the point of actually enjoying the class I teach. I like the moves, the clients, the music and the whole routine.   Progress.  I know.  I've always enjoyed teaching pilates, but this new adventure is more of a strength training class in a big studio.  The only problem is: it requires the use of a microphone.  Very fine and easy for some. people.  ahem.

You know that old adage that says: if it doesn't fit, force it.. ?  Yeah.  So the short story is that I managed to break not just one but two microphone thingys in like.. one week..?  And I knew that if there was equipment involved and I couldn't figure it out, that I would get nervous.. and break it.

I don't know about you, but when I get frustrated, I cry.  But I was such a big girl about this.  No tears were shed until I arrived at my husband's work desk and burst into tears in front of his friends, his boss.. you know.. the whole world.

I just knew that my sweet man could fix this and calm me down at the same time.  I have never seen my husband burst into tears when something breaks.  never.  And I figured if it could be fixed, it would be fixed.  Between he and his engineer friends, it would make light work over the lunch break..

And sure enough, before the tears were dry, they had ordered the parts on line for a fraction of the cost of replacing the entire gizmo thingy doodle which was $220.  Have I mentioned that I broke two??  ugh. (and yes, both are fixed a week later)

Anyway,  Thumble thumbs took herself home and was too embarrassed to tell  her 430 facebook friends or even her mother.  All she could do is take a nap and make bread.  and pies.

And then I realized.  I am Amelia Bedelia.  That's exactly what she did when she couldn't figure things out.  She made pies!

And I realized how it really was an unconscious move of self preservation to marry the man I married.

Amelia Bedelia scores big by marrying Norm (Abrams)..

Norm eats a lot of pies.

Norm works out a lot.

Amelia breaks more stuff.

Norm fixes more stuff.

Amelia never leaves Norm.

Norm is too busy fixing stuff and working out to notice anyone else.

They lived happily ever after.

Amen.

3 comments:

Nita Brainard said...

Even more fun than Amelia Bedelia!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

I love Amelia Bedelia, and oh how I can relate! So glad your hubs is a Mr. Fix-it :D

Julie

sara said...

awwww. Internet hugs to you. Thank you for pushing past your discomfort and sharing that - it's a very sweet story. BTW, my mom and I break stuff every time we try to clean. It's a running family joke now.