Tuesday, September 24, 2013

rather than use the microwave...

Sometimes something in the news is so horrible that you hate to mention it.  In fact, I didn't mention it to my husband because I knew that he would be so torn up that he wouldn't be able to function for the rest of the evening.

But the truth is that a mother, in a fight, microwaved their baby.  Of course, the child died.

And I wonder about the state of mind that not just this couple is in, but the state of mind that so many people are in right now.  Proponents of post-birth abortion are making headway.  And bit by bit the erosion of human life, especially amongst the very young and vulnerable are just a byword, rather than the shocking abnormality that it is.

And I think..  

If, in the heat of the moment, when the decision to kill or not kill was still in a state of flux in their own minds..  would they have chosen to do something else if there were another option?

Did they know about their options?

Was there a glimmer of hope.. ever.. in these people?  Did they ever want to love and nurture that child?  Is it possible for them to realize their incapacity for love and give the child up for adoption..before killing it?

I do not know the answers to these questions.  I wish that I did.

 And I want to say this:  Drop them off on my doorstep!!  I'll figure it out.  

But I'm scared.

You see.. I'm one of those people who.. well... doesn't want her neat little life disrupted.

I have gotten used to creature comforts like: a full night's sleep and free time.

You too, eh?

I have been dealing with my excuses for so long that I feel like I should make up new ones every so often--ones that sound spiritual.   And if I told you what they were, you would nod your head and say, "Oh yeah.. that's really needed.  Jesus needs that.."  and more and more babies die.  and children don't have homes..  while I sit here and worship my free time and creature comforts..

But now..  people are killing live babies right in their homes.  How bad does it have to get before I will do something?  anything? to help?

I wish I could end this post telling you what I am resolved to do.  But it isn't going to end that way.

I'm going to pray though.  I want God to do a miracle.  Not just for these babies-- although that would be great!-- but a miracle in my own heart and anyone reading this.  That our idols.. our creature comforts.. and our entire beings would do whatever God wants in this and any situation that requires attention, change, repentance, resolve, action and prayer.

4 comments:

Jena Webber said...

After writing the article, I realized that this incident happened a few years ago, but the issues are still the same.

Bernadette Veenstra said...

That is an awful story. But, your moral is a good one. We have been convicted about doing NOW what God is laying on our hearts. Taking the time now. Stop making excuses NOW.

Mrs. Santos said...

I am also dealing with this. We keep having "homelessness" put before us. I don't know what God will have us do, but I have a ton of excuses and lots of fear. But I also have a willingness to obey. We will see. Thanks for the post. I love how God works in his family similar things.

Kathy MomOfNine said...

I haven't visited you in so long. But, as usual, you are thought provoking and heart felt!