Thursday, October 24, 2013

Happy Fall getaway


























I'm always amazed every year when the leaves finally do change colors.  In my mind, I wonder if it really is going to happen again.  Will it be as spectacular as last year?  Or will I be let down?  And if I go north will it be better colors? or what?  And can I possibly wrap my head around it and not miss anything?

As it is, life goes faster and faster every year.  And before you know it, the ever changing leaves are making an appearance and quickly fading away.  Did I get to snap a few photos?  Did I get to take a walk out in the woods?

Thankfully, this was another year that I could get out and go north for a few days.  My sweet and faithful husband never ceases to amaze me.  He managed to fit a weekend getaway into one of the most hectic times of our lives.  Even with our oldest daughter helping another family in Hawaii right now, we were able to get help for our youngest child.
Our boys and a friend of the family all pitched in to help with the ministry of running our home for a few nights so we could go north.  But it wasn't just to see colored leaves or tromp around in the woods--as much fun as that is-- there was a higher calling.  The high calling of marriage and it's important relationship dynamics is far more important than any sight-seeing excursion.  It's time and money well spent.  Other than our childrens' own personal relationships with Christ, a strong marriage bond between their parents is all that we can give them that will truly benefit them long term.  





























As you can see, we didn't even get a picture of the two of us.  But we were both there.  One had the camera, and the other one stood there, arranging leaves.  

And many times I am tempted to always second guess how we spend the little money and time we do have.  But when we both come home refreshed and ready to go back to work, I know it was a good decision.  We totally love our kids, our ministry, and our work.  But the Bible says to come apart and rest awhile.  If I had the resources, I would capture that man that I love and pack his bag for him and surprise with a getaway every month.  He works a full time job as an engineer,  a teacher/ Bible study leader with a pastor's heart, a student almost completed M.Div. at Moody and loves his family and does all that he can to stay involved and helping me and each one of the kids..  He's always taking care of us.  Even now as I write this, he is working on something for his classes that he takes at Moody.  And I just noticed his head nod off..  Better go and get him in bed.  Love that man.  

3 comments:

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Hurray for your getaway! Absolutely a good investment, and a good reminder about what really matters - for us and for our children.

Just saw your "deactivating" post... maybe if you're not on FB we'll see more of you here? (Hoping!)

Julie

gabisunshine said...

Looks delightful :)

Kathy MomOfNine said...

Beautiful thoughts and such lovely pictures. I am glad you and your husband are able to get away and enjoy each other! Blessings!