Thursday, January 2, 2014

2014 WORD: ENJOY

I think you know that I'm a word nerd.  And every year, I ask the Lord for a WORD for the new year-- a word that gives me spiritual emphasis and hope.

After a long two week struggle,  I finally had to come to the conclusion that I am a control-freak in  certain areas of my life.  This desire to control things (especially things clearly out of my control) were zapping me of my energy.. and my joy!

In so many things, I feel compelled to influence, to change, to do something with, for, about or against... and so much of it is... well... it is just in my own strength. And the entire time, I am not enjoying the process.

The energy spent trying to change something or someone is not energy well spent, 99% of the time.

And the Lord gave me a precious thought.

Why not ENJOY things rather than try to fix them?

Yes, I am a fixer.. often a good fixer.. but not everything needs fixing.  But all of God's creation demands respect, appreciation, and love.  Why not sit back and enjoy t?

People especially want to be enjoyed.  Not used. not abused. just enjoyed.  We enjoy people by listening to them-- hearing their hearts--crying or laughing with them-- giving them space-- and just letting them be.

Nobody wants to be fixed.  I don't want to be fixed, even in the areas where I know I need some fixing.  No.  Our fundamental need is not to be fixed-- although we are all utterly flawed and need a Savior.

Our fundamental need is for love.

This controlling, fixing nature-- the one that allows me to manage an entire household, keep the burners going, the wash rolling and the car logistics working..  the  thing that makes me successful in many areas..  makes me completely unsuccessful in relationship nuances at times.

Suffice to say, I have a long way to go.  Do I really have the capacity to enjoy people? rather than try to fix them? We'll see.

I think I do.  I just need to think about it and practice it.

Happy New Year everyone!  I hope you are finding your own focus, your own word, and enjoying your own little world.


1 comment:

gabisunshine said...

Happy new year, dear Jena! May you enjoy it thoroughly!